Job ID 334146
Principal Data Engineer- Hybrid- London, Great Portland Street- No Sponsorship Available
I am working with a rapidly growing, dynamic London based firm who are seeking an experienced Principal Data Engineer to join their growing organisation. They provide independent consultancy services and bespoke IT solutions to a range of investment clients within the private capital markets industry. The role offers the opportunity to lead the data engineering strategy and delivery across a number of clients projects, and within their internal software development team, working on 200+ projects all across the world.
As a Principal Data Engineer, you will be responsible for:
* Leading complex projects, with responsibility for successful outcomes, and ownership and driving of the solution. The role will include hands-on client delivery.
* Identifying and advising on end-to-end solutions and appropriate tools most suited for each client development/project, with knowledge of the limitations of all the tools.
* Providing strategic insight and actionable recommendations based on personal expertise and all available information.
* Producing project specifications, gathering requirements with clients, drafting initial SoW including scope, estimated effort, and timeline.
* Identifying tasks outside of project scope on large and complex projects, and negotiating successful outcomes with clients, with full understanding of the commercial implications, team skills, and other priorities within engagement.
* Leading senior developers on the drafting of technical specifications for new products and projects
* Building scalable data warehouses, based on understanding the needs of the client business and the PE industry
* Owning the technical input to client governance documents and attending client Steer Co’s.
* Providing training on advanced technical subjects, using client familiar business terminology. Collecting and designing training collateral.
* Providing technical leadership, subject matter expert support and mentoring to junior colleagues.
An accomplished Principal Data Engineer with an excellent educational background and a recognised computer science or computer engineering qualification. You have a passion for data, its use within business, a willingness to ‘think outside the box’ coupled with exceptional attention to detail, technical knowledge and an analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude.
* Experienced with independently managing large and complex client projects, producing SoWs, and coordinating response to issues between clients and internal expertise.
* Excellent understanding of architectural design and patterns, and data technologies and packages available. Experienced with building scalable data warehouses.
* Able to share professional opinion, and proactive in seeking opportunities to add value both to our clients and the development of the company.
* Shows initiative, skill, and experience in dealing with ambiguity and solving complex problems. Defines structure and processes for others to solve them.
* Proven track record of managing senior stakeholders and the ability to adapt own style to suit both business and technical teams’ audience
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to interact effectively and confidently with senior clients on a range of complex ideas and concepts.
* Experience of the Financial Services sector, and specifically within the Private Capital Markets is desirable. Understanding of the PE industry will be required.
* Ability to travel – including abroad. Values the benefits of working on client sites and from our London office when required.
Key Principal Data Engineer Skills:
* Extensive experience with Microsoft Azure or with an equivalent Cloud Platform
* Capable in using SQL
* Data Modelling (Kimball Techniques, Normalisation Principals)
* Good understanding of ETL tools and experience in use
Desirable Principal Data Engineer Skills:
* Power BI / Tableau
* Python or equivalent Programming Language
* Experience in consuming REST, Graph, SOAP API’s
On top of the salary offered, there is a discretionary bonus, 5% matched pension, private healthcare, 25 days holiday and Hybrid working. When travelling on company business expenses are paid and my client also holds tertials for the company to spend time together out of the office