Job ID 210231
Infrastructure Design Engineer – excellent opportunities to progress to managerial level
Don't miss this opportunity to join a great team to be involved with interesting and varied project work. The company is a committed investor in people and invests in ongoing development and professional certifications for their team.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about IT infrastructure, someone who is comfortable challenging the status quo and prepared to go the extra mile to delivery leading edge solutions. Are you quick thinking? Prepared to ask challenging questions? Ready and willing to research into new areas of technology in order to solve the problems our customers have?
The role encompasses the following key areas to meet the Company’s agreed strategic objectives:
* Design Support: Support the design and development of new company products, where appropriate documenting high- and low-level designs, build scripts and maintenance processes.
* Research & Development: Support the test and development of new technologies to facilitate system design and product management.
* Design Support:
* To provide input in areas of virtualisation & storage knowledge into the design process, including participating in reviews, and documenting relevant inputs.
* Contribute to the development, evaluation and implementation of the Company’s Technology Roadmap.
* Assist in the production of design documentation where appropriate.
* Product Development:
* To conduct research into infrastructure products and solutions. Using virtualised on-premise and cloud technologies
* Assist in building and integrating appropriate prototypes and technology demonstrators.
* Support the development of build and test facilities.
* Conduct the technical day to day relationship with internal customer service teams and 3rd party supplier interfaces.
* Ensure all appropriate installation documentation is produced.
A good understanding of (must have)
VMware Data Centre Technologies
Storage Technologies, both physical and virtualized storage solutions
A good understanding of some or all the following (would like to have)
Networking (Cisco, Juniper, Palo-Alto)
LAN/WAN Switching & Routing
Physical Networking (cabling & installation)
VMware Network Virtualisation & Security (NSX)
Citrix tools and techniques
Network Security (Firewalls, IDS etc..)
Network Storage Configuration (iSCSI, Fibre Channel, VSAN etc..)
Delivery or support of cloud hosted services
General Sysadmin Technologies
OS (Windows Server, CentOS & Linux in general)
Applications & Services (Active Directory, Messaging & Collaborative Software)
Systems Management Tools (AD, WSUS etc..)
Mobile Device Management and Virtual Private Networks
System audit and analysis
* Exchange Server
* Unified Comms
* SQL Server
* Enterprise Antivirus (preferably McAfee)
* Multi-Factor Authentication (preferably RSA SecurID)
* Cyber Security
Skills, Qualities and Experience
Ability to establish and develop a new role as part of a small team within a rapidly evolving organisation.
Ability to work autonomously under your own initiative.
A commitment to continually developing technical skills.
Experience of build, test and implementation of systems, along with 3rd line operational support.
Good communication skills with the ability to influence and negotiate both internally and externally.
Willingness to work flexibly in response to changing organisational requirements.
Working in a team of infrastructure specialist and engineers, a senior engineer builds, administers and maintains solutions. At this level you will:
Ensure services are integrated, delivered and operated as required
Work with and support third parties in providing infrastructure services
Work with technical architects to translate architectural designs into operations
Provide input into overall management – workforce, budget, technology roadmaps, projects and tasks
If you take a managerial path, you will lead and direct infrastructure specialist teams building, managing, supporting, and maintaining solutions according to departmental policy