Job ID 284954
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation. Our client, a blue-chip IT company is currently seeking an Infrastructure Support Specialist (Data Centre Cabling Engineer) based on their customer site in Slough. This is a full-time, permanent role working Monday – Friday 07:00 – 21:00 split shifts either 7am-3pm or 1pm-9pm Saturday 08.00-17:00 on rotation one in 3. The role is paying up to £35,000 depending on experience to start ASAP
*Security Clearance will take place for successful candidate*
An opportunity for a cabling engineer with intermediate experience to join a busy team responsible for the daily operations of a large Enterprise Data Centre for a leading financial services client.
The role consists of all aspects relating to server and network LAN and SAN patching as well as fiber and copper cable infrastructure installations for various projects within the business. The role requires incident management, and any incident management knowledge would be advantages.
The successful candidate will receive in depth training of the site-specific procedures and cable installation best practices. They should be able to approach their tasks logically and have an attention to detail. There will be an expectation for the individual to gain the required knowledge in a timely manner so the ability to communicate clearly and display a positive attitude whilst under pressure is essential
* Installation, termination and testing of all data centre cabling (CAT-6 6A, fibre optic)
* Responsible for all data cable infrastructure installs – UTP, OM3/OM4 and single mode fibre
* Installation, maintenance and lifecycle of the whole trunk-infrastructure across building backbone
* Fault- finding of network cabling within Datacentre, able to trace and test connections and resolving issues. Fibre Optic termination testing and fault-finding with OTDR, Fluke testing equipment. Additional training provided if needed
* Provide onsite support using Fluke testing equipment to test all new and suspect cable connections.
* Smart Hands support of LAN & WAN Infrastructure components, structured cabling, VOIP telephone systems and voice recording for offsite teams
* Supporting of LAN & WAN Infrastructure components, structured cabling, VOIP telephone systems and voice recording.
* Managing Patch schedules for new server installations, patch cables are installed- labelled and tested according to work order requests
* Ability to order and manage stock, keeping an up-to-date inventory of all cabling and peripherals.
* Liaise with the Cabling Team Lead and schedule cabling infrastructure works according to prioritization and projects
Essential Skills and Experience
* The ideal candidate will need to have extensive knowledge of data cabling ideally with proven experience of (CAT-5e CAT6 6A, and fibre optic), able to terminate patch panels floor boxes and wall panels with proven accreditations and experience
* Basic understanding of network VLAN's and IP addressing
* Have good knowledge of Fiber Optic terminating testing and fault-finding with OTDR and Fluke testing equipment
* Good knowledge of cabling products and manufacturer's i.e., Systemax, Commscope, Corning, etc.
Desirable Skills and Experience
Good Knowledge of data cabling infrastructure
Knowledge of end user ticketing tools advantages, such as SNOW including updating -forwarding and closing of tickets
Good Excel skills
Strong interpersonal skills, customer orientation, self-motivation, and the ability to work in a team are important
Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
Positive attitude, ready to help all support teams with cabling related issues
A minimum of 2 years working experience in enterprise Data Centres in financial institutes