Job ID 328359
Our Prestigious client in Oxford is seeking a Senior IT Support Engineer to join their team.
Senior IT Support Engineer – Overview:
This is a senior IT support role, the successful candidate would be responsible for managing a virtualised server environment, IT security, dealing with escalated incidents and problems, technical network management, acting as technical lead in new IT projects, scripting, desktop build creation and enterprise build deployment using Windows Deployment Services or similar.
The post holder is expected to advise the IT Manager in the strategic deployment and development of technology, and on IT Policies in relation to the organisations strategy.
Senior IT Support Engineer – Responsibilities & Duties:
* Manage and maintain servers (both hardware and OS) and applications in a virtualised environment, currently Vsphere 7.0, Windows 2012 & 2019, and direct attached storage (DAS).
* Secure data and network access to mitigate against security threats, monitor and follow up security incidents, maintain a secure infrastructure and domain. This includes keeping current with threats, MS/VMware patches, overseeing patch management systems and servicing of all computers.
* Provide support for and configuration of all elements of the IT Infrastructure including network, server and workstations. Manage technical discussions and solutions with services contracted to third parties. Research, install and commission new IT equipment and software. Troubleshoot routing issues, set up and maintain VLANS, LACP & MLAG.
* Handle escalated 2nd and 3rd line support requests. Provide backup support and first line cover for the team in the event of absence.
* Manage, maintain and develop computer build systems. currently SCCM (System Centre Configuration Manager; Microsoft End Point Configuration Manager MECM). Upgrade and utilise the SCCM application packaging implementation.
* Create and maintain scripts to add new staff and students at agreed levels of permission for accessing network services and resources.
* Identify the need and timing for, and install updated software (operating systems and applications). Upgrade and replace hardware where necessary to maintain licence agreements, warranties and resilience.
* Carry out project work as managed by the IT Manager, which includes research and technical implementation.
* Keep current with all available technologies to enhance the teaching and research activities
* Identify and implement appropriate mechanisms for referring problems to other levels of IT support; become familiar with the appropriate individuals to contact in the event of emergencies or other difficulties.
Senior IT Support Engineer – Skills & Experience required:
* Educated to degree level in a relevant area or relevant professional experience.
* Ability to research complex technical subjects, and understand and apply technical information in an appropriate manner for the environment.
* Good project management skills, including experience in project life-cycles, planning and implementation.
* Ability to manage a varied workload, including the ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and priorities.
* Ability to work well as part of a team, assisting junior colleagues where needed and helping develop their skills.
* Suitable experience in a post with similar responsibilities and a service-focused ethos, with a strategic approach to identifying and meeting customer needs.
* Experience in task automation and scripting in a Windows environment, ideally using Microsoft PowerShell.
* Good level of experience maintaining and configuring a Microsoft Active Directory environment, including management and configuration of workstations and servers using Group Policy. Installation and configuration of Microsoft Office, manually and via Group Policy.
* Experience managing, updating and upgrading Windows Server and desktop operating systems. Knowledge of other operating systems including Apple and Linux. Demonstrable skills with managing and maintaining software deployment solutions such as SCCM, including strong application and driver packaging skills. Managing the automated delivery of OS and application updates through a system such as WSUS.
* Ability to apply security-related measures to infrastructure and devices, including specifying firewall rules. Configuration and deployment of anti-virus technologies and managed software security updates.
* Familiarity working with backing up both virtual and physical workloads using technologies such as VEEAM or IBM spectrum protect. Familiarity with Windows Distributed Filesystem Replication (DFS-R).
* Working knowledge of administrating and troubleshooting network infrastructure. Experience with technologies including, Network Access Control (NAC), 802.1X and Radius. Experience working with VLANS, LACP & MLAG. Comprehensive knowledge of IP and local area Ethernet and Wireless networking. Practical troubleshooting of networks, including the use of monitoring tools such as Observium, Rancid, and troubleshooting tools and techniques such as Wireshark with port mirroring. Operational familiarity with DNS and DHCP administration.
* Ability to support and maintain Vsphere 7.0 or above