Job ID 337344
Senior Software Architect – Sensing & Autonomy
Location: Flexible – Woking, Romsey, Gloucester, Manchester
Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients.
We are a friendly and flexible team with a culture of ‘time, trust and freedom’. The role may give the opportunity to work on client site, from the office, in shared workspaces or from home as necessary. We pride ourselves on listening to each other’s aspirations and accommodating wherever possible.
The Futures team works regularly in a range of markets including Healthcare, Aerospace, Energy and Central Government; we also support our sister Business Units – Defence and National Security. Our customers often come to us with niche, challenging problems that matter to their business, looking for experts to develop solutions by applying their experience and knowledge in novel, creative ways. Our projects range in duration from early feasibility studies lasting a few months, through the entire engineering lifecycle, to multi-year support for production-grade software systems, with engineers switching between these in line with their career aspirations and development plans.
Roke is recruiting for a Senior Software Architect who is driven by solving varied and interesting client problems. The Senior Software Architect will be responsible for the architecture and design of large multi-disciplinary software solutions, and also support Client Managers directly in a pre-sales capacity to develop relationships and solutions that can support future business growth.
For this specific role, we are seeking someone with strong experience in sensor processing, data fusion, networked sensing and autonomous systems technology.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for supporting the development of capability within their own technical area. This senior position will be pivotal to capability development through; involvement with business development activities, supporting our account managers in the development of customer offerings to address market drivers, identifying opportunities to develop/exploit our own IP in our target proposition space, as well as understanding and documenting the customer’s requirements for distribution to the engineering team.
Areas of Responsibility/Tasks:
• Define and lead the technology solution of large-completive bids; take responsibility for technical content within formal bid submissions.
• Drive the architecture and delivery of large-scale software engineering projects
• Support the Sales and Campaign functions to develop and foster client relationships and elaborate high level technical requirements
• Oversee progress of multiple development teams, providing assurance that software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc, by ensuring best engineering practices are followed.
• Represent Roke and its technical solutions and capabilities toward client communities
• Provide technical guidance and coaching to junior members of the team.
• Make recommendations to technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Complying with Roke’s policies and procedures
Why We Want You
Beyond your technical skills, you will be proactive and able to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. You will work well alone or as part of a team. You will be curious and seek out the best approach/solution/tool for the job at hand.
Your broad technical, research and software development background will allow you to rapidly understand new systems and domains, and prototype systems based on your research. As a Senior Software Architect, you will have a degree level qualification in a STEM subject, or you will have an education and level of experience which is comparable. You will have:
• Direct experience with sensor data processing (e.g. Imagery, video, RADAR, LIDAR)
• Awareness and basic understanding of data fusion, target tracking, networked sensing and autonomous systems technology
• Within this technical domain :
• Proven experience as a software architect and developer in multiple languages
• Experience of working with in Business Development, and authoring complex technical bids.
• Familiarity with systems engineering and enterprise architecture approaches.
• In-depth understanding of one or more of target tracking, data fusion, sensor processing, sensor management, robotics, autonomous systems
• Knowledge of Defence applications of sensing (i.e. ISR/ISTAR)
• Knowledge of commercial and contractual frameworks
• Product Owner experience.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve the following clearance.
• UK SC clearance: (5 Years of permanent UK residency plus an unrestricted right to work)